“The past year has been filled with exciting new developments and we are focused more
than ever on responding to the needs of even more people faced with death, dying and loss in our local community.
“None of this work would be possible without the incredible support of the local community: volunteers, businesses, individuals, community groups, local health organisations and partners, and the local Clinical Commissioning Group.
“The Hospice is very proud of its achievements during the year. There is much more that needs to be done and the coming year will be a busy one for St Clare Hospice. Thank you for your continued support.”
– Deborah Fielding, Chair of Trustees
Our key achievements
- In 2019 our Hospice at Home team celebrated its 5th birthday. The team of registered nurses and nursing assistants have cared for more than 2,000 patients and their families over the past 5 years.
- Our new programme of Bereavement Cafés launched in February 2019, offering a new model of social support for people who are experiencing the death of someone close to them.
- In 2019 we supported more than 1,500 patients and their families with more than 3,400 episodes of care.
- We were officially designated as a University of Cambridge teaching hospice.
Our care at a glance…
- The average length of stay for those admitted to our Inpatient Unit was 9 days.
- Our average bed occupancy was 86% – compared to the national median of 78%.
- We cared for 231 patients in our Inpatient Unit.
- More than half of those attending Day Therapy at the Hospice had a diagnosis other than cancer, such as heart failure and circulatory and/or respiratory illnesses.
- We cared for people with conditions including Motor Neurone Disease, Parkinson’s, Dementia, respiratory disease and renal failure.
- Every month we spend approximately 1,400 hours caring for people in their own homes.
Want to understand more?
“St Clare was just so good at being there in the background, like a safety net if I ever needed them. I only had to pick up the phone and someone would be there for us.”
“The place and its surroundings have such a unique, tranquil atmosphere – there is nothing better. And it’s the warmth of the people here that make it St Clare.”
“’Amazing’ just seems like such a standard word when you try to describe St Clare. There are just no words that could put a title on what St Clare did for us. Everyone that knows St Clare says the same.”
Want to know more?
Our Impact Report gives a more detailed account of the achievements and progress made during that year, based on our Quality Account and Financial Accounts reports. You can find our publications here.