We are looking for a skilled and friendly individual to join our Hospice team as a Volunteer Gardener, to help maintain and manage our gardens, keeping them tidy and beautiful for all our hospice visitors to enjoy.
It’s a given that you can’t have a garden without weeds. It is hard work and time consuming to control, often requiring deep digging to remove specific weeds with deep roots in order to discourage its return. This requires constant management needs a many hands as possible.
We have quite a number of volunteer gardeners from our wider community. What we are look for is Practical Gardening Volunteers who are able and willing to work on the site as a whole.
What are the key tasks of this role?
- Clear overgrown areas, managing invasive weeds that plague the site
- Assist in seasonal gardening tasks throughout the year
- Garden maintenance – including weeding, mulching, edging, raking, digging, pruning, dead heading, path maintenance, bed renovation
Working hours: Most of our gardeners come on a Tuesday morning c.9:30 – 12:30 but we would like to have gardeners assisting throughout the week so any week day could be available.
What skills, experience or personal qualities will I need?
- You do not need a horticultural qualification but having some experience of maintaining a garden or allotment would be desirable
- Some tasks are physically demanding requiring a level of dexterity working on the slopes of our site
- Be happy to work under instruction as necessary, in a team or independently without supervision
The difference this role makes to St Clare Hospice…
Your support will help us meet our strategic aims of:
- Reaching significantly more people who are facing death, dying and loss in our local communities.
- Supporting our communities to become more resilient, to support each other and to remain independent for as long as possible.
- Seeking partnerships with other organisations to deliver better care for our patients.
Underpinning our core Values
By volunteering with us, you’ll be part of a community that celebrates St Clare Hospice’s core values of compassion, integrity, respect, excellence and team work. Everyone who is a part of the St Clare team is expected to embody this approach to their work, ensuring that our Hospice can continue improving and meeting the needs of local people facing death, dying and loss.
Please click on the image below to enlarge it.
For more information about this role, including: the benefits you can expect when joining our Hospice; the training and support you will be given in your role; and other details about volunteering with St Clare, please read the full Volunteer Role Description.
Apply to volunteer in this role
Thank you for your interest! If you think you’d be a good match for this exciting volunteering role at St Clare, we’d love to hear from you.
Please fill in the form below and we will get back to you as soon as we can.