Making a donation to our shops
Our charity shops rely on the generous donations of local people. Your good-quality clothing, furniture, bric a brac, books, CDs, toys… (you name it!) are the bread-and-butter of our charity shops. Every item we receive helps us to raise vital income for the Hospice.
You can drop your donations to any of our eight charity shops based throughout West Essex and East Hertfordshire.
Arrange a furniture collection
If you have an item or furniture or particularly large donation that you are unable to bring to one of our shops, we may be able to offer you our free collection service. We accept:
- Sofas and armchairs
- Dining tables and chairs
- Occasional tables
- Quality bookcases
- Divans with mattresses
- Dressing tables
- Chests of drawers
Our retail van drivers can collect large donations from the following post codes: CM6, CM16, CM17, CM18, CM19, CM20, CM21, CM22 CM23, CM24, IG9, IG10, CB10 (or click here to view our catchment area).
What can you donate to us?
We are grateful for the generous donations given to support our caring work, however, we are unable to accept goods that are damaged or in poor condition.
We do not accept the following:
- Children’s clothing with a drawstring on the neck/hood
- Child safety seats, prams, pushchairs, cots and carry cots, cot mattresses and bumpers, baby slings
- Skateboards, skates, slides, swings
- Toys which are unsafe (ie with sharp edges)
- Soft toys which do not have a CE label attached
- Cigarettes and tobacco products, ash trays
- Pillows, duvets, eiderdowns
- Chemical products, paint, varnishes
- Food or drink
- Gas or oil appliances, batteries
- Razors, broken or chipped glass or china, corkscrews, scissors, weapons
- Crash helmets, cycle helmets, riding hats, protective clothing or equipment of any kind
- Exercise equipment without the manufacturer’s instructions
- Counterfeit items including DVDs and designer goods
- DVDs without a British Board of Film classification, video tapes
- Items marked as ‘not for resale’
- Fur goods
- Earrings for pierced ears
- Also please note that all soft furnishings must have fire labels attached or St Clare is unable to sell them.
Pssst… Have you signed up for retail Gift Aid?
Have you signed up for retail Gift Aid? Signing up for retail Gift Aid means that we can claim a further 25% of income on all donations that we sell.
If you are a UK income tax payer, you can sign up for Retail Gift Aid with St Clare and help us to make 25% more on all your donations to our shops, at no extra cost to you. That means that if you donate a bag of goods which we sell for £20, we can claim an extra £5 on this if Gift Aided!
If you sign up for retail Gift Aid, you will be given a unique St Clare donor ID number, which you’ll be asked for when you donate pre-loved items to us. You’ll also receive notifications from us letting you know how much your donations have raised for the Hospice.