We need you!
We are looking for individuals with excellent listening and communication skills to join us as a GriefLine Volunteer. You will offer emotional support and a listening ear via the telephone to those within our catchment area who are struggling with their grief.
GriefLine is a local resource offering emotional support across West Essex and East Herts to anyone struggling with their grief. The helpline is open to all local people living in West Essex and East Hertfordshire who would like emotional support after a bereavement, no matter how long ago their loss. GriefLine is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
You will provide 5 hours of support per week in total:
- 4 hour shift on GriefLine (9am – 1pm or 1pm – 5pm)
- 1 hour adhoc support as a Listening Ear (at a time convenient for you)
What are the key tasks of this role?
Providing a safe and confidential space for anyone struggling with their grief.
- Answer helpline calls between the hours of 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday – you will choose a time slot.
- Provide 1 hour of one-to-one telephone support for people who are feeling alone or isolated
- Support those who have been bereaved, feeling isolated or are lonely.
- Allow callers to express their thoughts and feelings in confidence and always respect their privacy
- You can help individuals to connect to local social / friendship groups and other special interest groups.
- Signpost them to internal service or external agencies that may help them.
- In each case you will provide support that promotes the person’s autonomy and wellbeing.
- Respect each person’s choices and variety of expressions of grief consistent with different patterns of belief, family, community, culture and religion.
- Complete a data capture form after each call.
- Attend monthly catch up sessions.
What skills, experience or personal qualities will I need?
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Able to respect, and maintain, people’s confidentiality
- Awareness of the impact of bereavement and loss, isolation and loneliness on the individuals you will be supporting, and on yourself.
- Emotional resilience and the ability to recognise and respond to your own emotions
- Able to work with people who may be in distress
- Ability to work independently, but also to ask for help and advice when situations arise that is beyond your own knowledge, capabilities, comfort levels, or expertise.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and be succinct in written feedback.
- Able to maintain boundaries
- Well organised
- Reasonable I.T. literacy to operate App and email feedback on the set proforma from a St Clare email address.
- Able to adhere to all policies and procedures including health and safety and data protection.
- Able to monitor own workload and communicate any changes in this.
The difference you will make
GriefLine is open to all local people living in West Essex and East Hertfordshire who would like emotional support after a bereavement, no matter how long ago their loss.
Your support will help us meet our strategic aims of:
- Reaching significantly more people who are facing death, dying and loss in our local communities.
- Work alongside our communities to become more resilient, to support each other and to remain independent for as long as possible.
Underpinning our core Values
By volunteering with us, you’ll be part of a community that celebrates St Clare Hospice’s core values of compassion, integrity, respect, excellence and team work. Everyone who is a part of the St Clare team is expected to embody this approach to their work, ensuring that our Hospice can continue improving and meeting the needs of local people facing death, dying and loss.
Please click on the image below to enlarge it.
For more information about this role, including: the benefits you can expect when joining our Hospice; the training and support you will be given in your role; and other details about volunteering with St Clare, please read the full Volunteer Role Description.
Please click here to read more about the GriefLine volunteer role
Apply to volunteer in this role
Thank you for your interest! If you think you’d be a good match for this exciting volunteering role at St Clare, we’d love to hear from you.
Please fill in the form below and we will get back to you as soon as we can.